There are a lot of rumors about the ability, readiness, and sanity of Lionel Messi’s participation in the second leg game of the Champions League quarter-finals stage against Paris Saint-Germain.
I am not a doctor, but maybe you are an armchair one. He should not play this game even if the medical team gave him the green light or the go-ahead to. The math is simple:
- This is only Paris Saint-Germain
- The away first-leg result is not a bad one
- The team played a magnificent match without him over the weekend
- He never took rest
- An injured player should not be rushed back into action
- Risking Messi’s career is at stake
- One match and one season lost are not as important as a forced early retirement
Barcelona need Messi. Messi cannot stay off the pitch. The world loves seeing him. Yet, I ask the guardian angels of football to insert some logic in Messi’s head and persuade him against playing.