Straight forward and away from the technical and football jargon, here is what’s happening with LEBANON and the World Cup – Russia 2018 qualification.
The road to Russia 2018 already kicked off some months ago. For the first time ever, all 209 member associations have registered for the FIFA World Cup preliminary competition. Since 209 member associations have for the first time registered, FIFA expects about 900 matches.
– Since Lebanon is ranked among the top 40 Asian teams, the National Team already got a spot in Round 2.
– To qualify to the World Cup, there are four rounds in Asia and an extra play-offs round. So the good news is that Lebanon is already 25% closer to the dream, once again.
– Lebanon will play in Round 2, Group G, along with South Korea – Kuwait (yet again) – Myanmar – Laos
– Lebanon should either top the group, or be ranked second. By second, it means Lebanon should be among the four best runners-up across all eight groups.
– If the task in this round ended successfully, Lebanon will proceed with 11 other teams to Round 3; which we will discuss later on.
The schedule for Lebanon’s matches is the following:
11 June 2015: Lebanon – Kuwait
16 June 2015: Laos – Lebanon
08 September 2015: Lebanon – Korea Republic
08 October 2015: Myanmar – Lebanon
13 October 2015: Kuwait – Lebanon
12 November 2015: Lebanon – Laos
24 March 2016: Korea Republic – Lebanon
29 March 2016: Lebanon – Myanmar